Post Modern Art: An Exhibit

Fragmentation of LTM3 by Yuichi Ikehata (2014). Created in Japan.
 


My Reaction
    
   This is an interesting piece of post modern deconstruction style art. One thing that always strikes me about art pieces like this one is how they got the idea to create such a strange model. I definitely like the simplistic use of colors in the piece.

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

The colors used for this art piece are quite bland and basic. Which to my knowledge is a characteristic when it comes to deconstruction art pieces. Overall, I think the plainness of the colors involved in the piece really just help observers focus on the other art elements of the piece.

2. Shapes

 The shapes involved in this piece are definitely just all over the place. There is a sculpted cube being used as the platform for the sculpture while there seems to be a disconnected series of shapes of webs being used to connect to the face included in the art piece. I find the randomness of the use of shapes quite interesting in this art piece.

3. Texture

   To me it seems like there are multiple types of texture which are involved in this art piece. The cube platform is very rough and not very smoothly sculpted, however when you look at the face it is very smooth. So there is a unique contrast between textures that takes place in this artwork.

Cosmic Dust and the Breathing Ensemble by Tomás Saraceno (2016). Made in Berlin, Germany.
    



My Reaction

  For someone who is not the biggest fan of spiders, I will say that this is a pretty unique and cool piece of art work. The contrast between the spider and the rest of the image really just stands out to me. I also think the angle and perspective of the art is quite unique. 

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

The colors included seem quite ominous to me with how dark and simple they are. There is only really three colors which make up this piece red, black and grey. I think Tomas did a great job at choosing such a contrasting shade of red to really make the spider stand out to any observers like myself. 

2. Lines

The lines which I see in this image are all very jagged and sharp. Which is really shown from the legs of the spider making this art piece even more ominous to me. Its also quite cool how he used lines to create illusion of the spider being slanted at an angle.

3. Contrast

  I've always been a fan of art with a lot of contrast, especially color contrast like demonstrated in this piece. The dark red/orange color of the spider goes nicely with the overall dark background.



Travels in the Mediterranean by Cai Guo-Qiang (2010). Created in Nice, France.

My Reaction

   This piece of art is quite interesting as it definitely just looks like a digital photo taken on a camera to me. However, I will say that the architecture of whatever room they are walking in is very cool to look at. I would definitely have to put visiting this location on my bucket-list because of that.  

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

The colors have a unique contrast to them, with a marble-like side wall and then what looks like a green pool to me. I will say that I am a fan of the colors that are apparent in this image even though once again they are quite simple.

2. Contrast

 The biggest contrast seen here is with the colors of white and green that stand out to me. Which like I previously mentioned I am a fan of color contrast in any art.

3. Shapes

 The shape of the location that they are in is very fascinating to me. I would say the element of shape is most apparent with the environment of the people walking in the image.

        
Transcendence by Keith Jellum (Unknown date of creation). Made in Portland, Oregon.

My Reaction

  As a fan of sculpture art and salmon I am quite fond of this art piece overall. I think its quite unique how Keith Jellum crafted this into a building just in the middle of Portland, Oregon

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

I like the metallic color of the fish sculpture used as that really makes it stand out to me alongside the red bricks that it is incased in.  

2. Shape

 Although the element of shape isn't super apparent in this image I will say that shape is such a big part of sculptured art. In a sense it is what makes the sculpture a sculpture. 

3. Texture

 The sculpture has great use of texture which is used to show observers great detail of the features of the salmon. Such as the scales and ripples in the tail. Which overall, just creates a very realistic look to the sculpture.


Spider by Louise Bourgeois (1994). Created in London.

My Reaction

  Again, another interesting art piece of a spider which I previously mentioned am I definitely not the biggest fan of spiders. However, they do make a cool appearance in artwork. It is also another sculpture which I think is quite cool.

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

The color of the statue simply is just a gunmetal dark grey. I like sculptures with simplistic colors though so I will say it caught my attention because of so. 

2. Shape

Compared to the previous spider including artwork by Tomás Saraceno this one is much different. I see much more detailing when it comes to this spider in terms of shape. For example, just look at how long its legs are in length. It is quite a interesting shape for a spider to have.

3. Texture

 The sculpture has great use of texture which is used to show observers great detail of the features of the spider. I think the rough texture of the legs in the sculpture really make it stand out to me.


Disintegrated Wolf by Martin Newman (Date of creation is unknown). Created in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.


My Reaction

  This is another really cool digital art work following the style of post modern deconstruction art. Out of all the artworks I have included in my exhibit, this one would have to be the one that I would like to have as household decor. Its very simplistic but would be a great conversation starter for any guest I would have over. 

The Art Elements of this Work:

1. Colors

Once again the colors used in this work are very simplistic. Their are several shades of grey that are used to compose the image. Which are all fantastically blended in a way that is super pleasant for my eyes.

2. Lines

Lines are very distorted in this artwork as we can see how the wolf is "disintegrating". However, the wolfs face remains intact where the artist uses lines to create the detail and texture of the wolfs face. Very cool and unique use of lines when it comes to deconstruction artwokr.

3. Texture

 Although this is not a sculptured art work, you can see a great deal of detail when it comes to the element of texture present in the face of the wolf. This is what really caught my eye when it came to my first observations of the artwork.

How does these works relate to the theme of the age of digital entertainment in post modern artwork?

Since all of these art works were created from 1980 to present day they all fall under the category of Post Modern art. What I really like the most about post modern artwork is how digital things became with the increasing development of technology. All of these artworks are either photographed with digital cameras or almost look computer made through graphic designing programs such as photoshop. It is quite interesting to see just how far we have came with new technological developments and how we apply them to modern day art work designing.


Bradley, Kimberly. “With Spiders and Space Dust, Tomás Saraceno Takes Off.” The New York Times, 19 Oct. 2018, www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/arts/design/tomas-saraceno-palais-de-tokyo.html.

Pereira, Lorenzo. “Why Is It so Difficult to Define New Media Art?” Widewalls, 19 Dec. 2015, www.widewalls.ch/magazine/new-media-art-definition.

Gere, Charlie. “New Media Art and the Gallery in the Digital Age .” Tate, Tate Papers, 2004, www.tate.org.uk/research/publications/tate-papers/02/new-media-art-and-the-gallery-in-the-digital-age.



Comments

  1. The spider sculpture is so scary as I hate spiders but I definitely appreciate the work that got into the piece. I think most people would be scared to go underneath the sculpture because of how realistic of a monster it looks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts