Saint George and the Dragon

Image of the Saint George and the Dragon statue in Köpmanbrinken

Image of the Saint George and the Dragon statue in Köpmanbrinken 


The monument which is located in Stockholm, Sweden shown above is of Saint George and the Dragon, an amazing piece of artwork. 3D shaped art has always intrigued me as an element, as there is so much more detail you can put compared to 2D artwork. When I look at a work of art like this I always am struck by a realization that there was so much effort put into its design. The statue was introduced way back in 1489, which is another factor of awe for me. Just thinking about how even many years ago there was so much creativity put into works of art. I would absolutely love to own a miniature copy of this work of art myself just as household decoration as I feel that would be a great attraction for any visitors. 

Image of the Saint George and the Dragon statue in the Storkyrkan

The backstory to this work of art was that it was sculpted to celebrate the victory at Brusckeberg by Bernt Notke. Bernt Notke was a Gothic artist who was known as a great artist of his time in northern Europe and noted for being essential in the upbringing of sculpture in his location. Sten Sture obtained a wooden copy for the Storkyrkan. It is seen by many as a symbolic statue of Sten Sture's victory over Denmark, which is represented by the dragon in the artwork. This back story is relatable to me as I am from Swedish descent, therefore when I am given a sense of pride from it.


“St. George and the Dragon.” St. George and the Dragon in Stockholm, www.dodedans.com/Enotke3.htm.

“Equestrian Statue of Saint George in Stockholm Sweden.” Equestrian Statues, 30 Apr. 2020, equestrianstatue.org/george-saint-19/

Comments

  1. That is one heck of an art piece. If I'm not mistaken it looks like it's made out of copper? It looks like it's greened over in the same way copper usually does. I am curious though, is this a piece you've seen in person or just online? It doesn't look too big, but that might just be the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed seeing pieces like this, just as you said, the age makes the detail and design all the more impressive. The second image reminds me of a lot of old churches around Europe and I would love to visit Sweden to see this piece and the architecture of that building.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts